Stocks and indices quarterly update end Q3 2017
With effect from 18 September 2017, Jardine Strategic replaces SIA Engineering as constituent of the Straits Times Index. This is part of twice-a-year review every March and September.
Following this, the reserve list for STI Constituents are (stocks that are standing by to ascend to the coveted blue chip status):
- Keppel Reit
- Mapletree Commercial Trust
- SIA Engineering
- Suntec Reit
- Venture Corporation
This review is now looking a little bit like a musical chair game being played. Jardine Strategic was formerly one of STI constituents but removed in Q3 2015 together with sister company Jardine Matheson. In Q3 2016, Jardine Matheson was first of the two to be restored after replacing Sembmarine. Although SIA Engineering was displaced this time, it was placed in the reserve list meaning it could be back among the Top 30 as soon as March next year subject to performance.
STI component stocks: winners and losers end Q3 2017
- Q-Q, STI is down 6.57 points or 0.20% compared to end Q2.
- 14 stocks posted gains, 3 unchanged and 13 stocks in the red for the quarter.
- Gain leaders are Yangzijiang, Global Logistic and Genting Singapore.
- Loss leaders are Singapore Press Holdings, Jardine Cycle & Carriage and SATS.
- Hutchison Port Holdings, Golden Agri and Thai Beverage stay unchanged.
- I have written about a bearish reversal setup for SATS here.
- End of Q2 performance is available here.
End of September 2017 performance by STI constituents (by month)
- STI ended September 2017 57.35 points or 1.75% lower to 3219.91.
- Out of 30 constituents, only 3 stock counters posted gains. 26 counters ended in the red.
- Ascendas Reit unchanged for the month.
- Gain leaders are Keppel Corp., GLP and DBS.
- End of August performance here.
Indices to watch
Levels in these two charts are still valid.
— Soh tiong hum (@Sohtionghum) September 27, 2017
— Soh tiong hum (@Sohtionghum) September 21, 2017