Straits Times Index almost unmoved in Q4, languish in 2016. Q4 blue chips leaders Golden Agri, Genting Singapore which jumped into lead at end of year based on strong performance in last quarter.
Straits Times Index up modestly in quarter
- 11 bluechips up, 1 unchanged and 18 down from the third quarter ’16.
- This performance reverses Q3 performance of 18 winners, 12 losers.
- Gain leaders are Golden Agri, Genting Singapore (chart here) and Global Logistics.
- Loss leaders are Capitamall Trust and Starhub.
- Q-on-q, Straits Times Index was up 0.39%.
- Q3 winners and losers here.
Singapore blue chip stocks Q4 2016 winners and losers
2016 full year performance down, nearly unchanged
- Year-on-year, the Straits Times Index is nearly unchanged.
- Gain leaders are Golden Agri and Sats.
- Loss leaders are Starhub and Yangzijiang Shipbuilding.
- SATS, Thai Beverage (additional observations here) and Jardine Cycle & Carriage are strong performers for the whole year but finally stumbled into red in Q4. Turning point?
- Golden Agri and Genting Singapore are strong performers that jumped into the lead, performed magic in the last quarter.
- Asian indices in particular China, Hong Kong and Singapore deliver poor showing for 2016; Western indices do well.
Performance of major stock market indices in 2016 | Source: Tradingeconomics.com
The following two tabs change content below.
Soh Tiong Hum is Director of TerraSeeds Market Technician Pte Ltd. TerraSeeds is a trading educator in Singapore since 2005.
Soh's Twitter account @sohtionghum
was ranked #23 out of The Top 70 Twitter Accounts To Follow In 2015
"I do not have a financial advisor's license. I am not qualified by any regulator to give financial advice. I do not know you the reader. Your investment means and motive may be different from me. My posts here are based on observations and meant for education. I am not responsible for for any consequence from your actions."