Results of Triennial Central Bank Survey
Singapore increased her market share as 3rd largest foreign exchange trading centre in the world and largest in Asia Pacific. Singapore was in 4th spot in the 2010 survey, displaced Japan in 2013. UK and US retains 1st and 2nd spots respectively, Japan and Hong Kong remains in 4th and 5th.
Some notable findings:
- Top currency pairs traded are USDEUR, USDJPY, USDGBP, USDAUD, USDCAD and USDCNY.
- USDSGD and USDNZD takes 9th and 10th spot.
- USDGBP, USDCAD, USDCNY and USDSGD increased their market shares while USDEUR, USDJPY and USDAUD lost. USDNZD market share remains unchanged.
- SGD market share moved up to 12th spot. It was 15th placed in 2013.
- CNY market share moved up to 8th spot. It was 9th placed in 2013.
- Turnover in global FX markets averaged 5.1 trillion in 2016.
- EUR has done poorly in the last 2 surveys. It’s market share was 39% in 2010, 33% in 2013 and 31% in 2016.
The following two tabs change content below.
Soh Tiong Hum is Director of TerraSeeds Market Technician Pte Ltd. TerraSeeds is a trading educator in Singapore since 2005.
Soh's Twitter account @sohtionghum
was ranked #23 out of The Top 70 Twitter Accounts To Follow In 2015
"I do not have a financial advisor's license. I am not qualified by any regulator to give financial advice. I do not know you the reader. Your investment means and motive may be different from me. My posts here are based on observations and meant for education. I am not responsible for for any consequence from your actions."