Some facts and figures about Malaysian Ringgit
- USDMYR currently trading at 4.3115.
- USDMYR traded at Asian Financial Crisis high of 4.885 in January 1998.
- Mahathir Government imposed capital controls, pegged USDMYR at 3.80 in September that year.
- Ringgit peg to USD was removed on 21 July 2005 same day China unpegged the Renminbi from USD.
- China is Malaysia’s largest trading partner.
- China CFETS RMB index includes Malaysian Ringgit as one of 13 constituents; ranked #6 in weight.
- Ringgit lost nearly half its value to USD since 2011.
- SGDMYR currently at 3.05.
- Ringgit weakest among Singapore Dollar, Thai Baht and Indonesian Rupiah since 2014.
Director, TerraSeeds Market Technician Pte Ltd. Trader, investor. @sohtionghum was picked ‘Top 70 Forex Twitter in 2015’. Operates multiple strategies.
“Dear reader, I do not have a financial license to give advice. I do not know you the reader. Your financial objective and risk tolerance may be different from mine. I am not responsible for any consequence of your action.