Some facts and figures about Malaysian Ringgit
- USDMYR currently trading at 4.3115.
- USDMYR traded at Asian Financial Crisis high of 4.885 in January 1998.
- Mahathir Government imposed capital controls, pegged USDMYR at 3.80 in September that year.
- Ringgit peg to USD was removed on 21 July 2005 same day China unpegged the Renminbi from USD.
- China is Malaysia’s largest trading partner.
- China CFETS RMB index includes Malaysian Ringgit as one of 13 constituents; ranked #6 in weight.
- Ringgit lost nearly half its value to USD since 2011.
- SGDMYR currently at 3.05.
- Ringgit weakest among Singapore Dollar, Thai Baht and Indonesian Rupiah since 2014.