STI component stocks ‘Winners and Losers’ MTD, Week 37
With action from the Straits Times Index STI clearly showing where support is, this week could be a potential turning point for the local stock market. Whether this is true or not, one is better equipped if one knows exactly who the winners and losers are for a ‘buy the strongest, sell the weakest strategy’.
Blue chips 1st 10 days of Sep, Week 37 performance
- September month to date (10 Sep) – 8 winners and 22 losers. Best performers Hutchison Port Holdings and SIA Engineering. Worst losers Global Logistic and Wilmar.
- Week 37 – 22 winners 4 losers and 4 unchanged. Best performers SIA Engineering and Comfort Delgro. Worst losers Wilmar and Thai Beverage.
How to use this table?
- Winners deserve to be winners, losers deserve to be losers and price reflects this.
- Therefore this is not a table that is meant for ‘overbought’ or ‘oversold’. In fact the strength/weakness is going to be a trend.
- If market sentiment improves, look for winners to outperform even though losers might also enjoy a rebound.
- If market sentiment weakens, look for losers to continue falling while winners are likely to be more resilient.
- Compare with past postings like this and this where we looked at list – one is likely to find some persistent winners and losers.
- Do a more extensive table with year to date performance as well as comparison to 52-week highs and lows.
Director, TerraSeeds Market Technician Pte Ltd. Trader, investor. @sohtionghum was picked ‘Top 70 Forex Twitter in 2015’. Operates multiple strategies.
“Dear reader, I do not have a financial license to give advice. I do not know you the reader. Your financial objective and risk tolerance may be different from mine. I am not responsible for any consequence of your action.