Common Problems in Metatrader 4
When using Metatrader MT4, traders are likely to encounter some common problems and error messages. Most of the problems here due to connectivity and account access. While it is possible to contact the technical support for your broker to ask for solutions, users can easily remedy some of these problems.
This is probably the most common problem. Sigh? When price is not changing, price on ‘Market watch’ panel is not blinking. Check the bottom right hand corner of your Metatrader MT4 program to determine if your data feed is connected and running.
Green = Go.
Red = No go.
‘Invalid account’ error message
This error message could be caused by selecting the wrong server for your account. If you are using a demo account, the most likely reason is the demo account already expired.
‘No connection’ error message
- Check your own Internet connection?
- Is the power to your modem and router on?
- Are they online/functioning?
- Did you key in the correct account number and password?
- Did your broker arrange a scheduled maintenance?
‘Common error’ message
- This is likely a problem beyond your control as it could be a connection problem between your MT4 platform with the server. You should contact your broker’s technical support for assistance.
‘Waiting for update’ message
- If you see this message when opening a chart for the first time, it means the chart is trying to pull data in (backfill). Check to see if you’re connected to the internet. Also try the following steps.
- Right click on the chart
- In the dialogue box that appears, click on ‘Refresh’
- Drag the currency pair from the ‘Market Watch‘ panel and drop it into the chart screen.
- Restart Metatrader 4
‘Off quote’ message
- This happens when you try to close a position that has already been closed on another device. Contact your broker when this happens.
Other Quick MT4 Tips
How to create a clean chart and set it as the default template
Housekeeping tips for Metatrader MT4 users
A quick guide show you tips to keep your MT4 clutter free.
How to save your analyses and settings during MT4 update
Tips to make sure things don’t go wrong after an update on MT4.
Using ‘Show trade levels’ function on MetaTrader MT4
Quick trick to show entry price, stop loss and target price for open positions visually on MT4.
2 ways to optimize, speed up MetaTrader MT4 performance
A guide on how to speed up MetaTrader MT4 performance
Set up SMTP for MetaTrader 4 in 3 easy steps with GMX
Step by step guide on how to use GMX as email SMTP for MT4.
Setting up SMTP Email Relay using hMailserver for MetaTrader 4 (MT4)
Step by step guide on installing hMailserver and using it as an email SMTP for MT4. (Windows Only)
Last time, many things that I wanted were just dreams, now I see them as possibilities. I’m looking forward to own pent-house suite in Manhattan overlooking Central Park because forex trading with Tflow® makes it possible. Find me on Google+