2 ways to optimize, speed up MetaTrader MT4 performance
Why is my MetaTrader 4 (MT4) so slow?
This is a question which I occasionally receive from our community.
The main reason for this is how much memory or RAM that MetaTrader 4 (MT4) uses vs how much your computer has.
As usage increases, the requirement will increase as well.
Ultimately, this might even impact the performance of your MT4 as well as your computer making it seem slow and lethargic especially if you are running other programs in addition.
2 ways to boost MT4 performance
There are a few ways to mitigate this problem.
To optimize the amount of RAM used by MetaTrader 4, the below ways can be employed together.
Method #1 – Optimizing MetaTrader 4 (MT4) settings
- Reducing the amount set in “Max bars in history” & “Max bars in chart” to 5000.
- This function reduces the amount of data displayed on the charts and in the history which will help to speed up the program considerably.
- Disable features not in used such as News, Email, Publisher and the Event.
- If you are running any Expert Advisors, consider disabling any logging functions if they are not required.
- Restart your MetaTrader 4 during the weekends to free up memory.
Using ‘Profiles’ settings
You can also make use of the ‘Profiles’ settings in MT4 to control and group the number of charts and currency pairs that are open at a time.
‘Profiles’ allows you to save and load only those pre-selected currency pairs.
In the afternoon you wish to only see charts related to EUR, GBP and CHF while in the evening you prefer to only see USD related crosses. So you can save a profile named Afternoon which charts such as EURGBP, EURCHF, GBPCHF open. While loading a Night profile would only bring up pairs such as USDCAD, USDJPY, AUDUSD.
To create or save a new profile:
- Open only those charts you wish to see for that profile
- Click on File -> Profiles -> Save As…
- Type in a name for your new profile.
To load a previously saved profile:
- Click on File -> Profiles
- Select the profile you wish to use.
To delete or remove a previously saved profile:
- Click on File -> Profiles -> Remove
- Select the profile you wish to delete.
Warning: If your computer is slow, loading a profile with too many charts pre-selected can take a long time. In rare cases it could even cause MT4 to close unexpectedly, so keep the charts opened to a moderate level especially if your computer is more then 4 years old and has lesser then 4gig RAM.
Last time, many things that I wanted were just dreams, now I see them as possibilities. I’m looking forward to own pent-house suite in Manhattan overlooking Central Park because forex trading with Tflow® makes it possible. Find me on Google+