Straits Times Index indication of broad Singapore stock market
The Straits Times Index is now resisted by a multi-year zone and coincides with a fibonacci retracment of 61.8%. Before the index can go higher, this zone must be overcome.
Overall the overhead resistance consists of:
- Multi-year resistance zone painted in green. Labels numbered from 1 to 5 show the number of times price action has tried and tested this zone in the past. The more times it is tried and tested, the stronger it is as a resistance, the bigger the move if it breaks.
- An upward rising trend line in red shows upward trend that started let 2011 might be over and the current move could be a pullback.
- A Fib-R of 61.8 coincides with the previous two.
Fibonacci ratios have been very predictive of the Straits Times Index so far. I wrote about this on several occasions
- Technical analysis: N225, HSI, STI price action rejects Fib ratios
- Straits Times Index prints evening star at key fib retracement level
- Fibonacci Retracement Levels scores hat-trick with Straits Times Index
- Fibonacci Retracement Ratios pinpoints STI levels with deadly accuracy
New 52-week low in February bucks 2-year trend
The Straits Times Index made higher lows in 2012 and 2013. That is a trend that indicates bullishness. 52-week lows are like the maximum strength of bears so rising lows show that the strength of bears are waning. An STI correction early this year to 2953 paints a picture of bears gaining. That’s not good. Investors should keep that in mind. Unless STI makes new highs to paint the opposite of this picture, that 2953 low could be giving away the start of a new down trend.
A 52-week high is a major psychological level. I wrote a story about its sibling the 52-week high here.
Director, TerraSeeds Market Technician Pte Ltd. Trader, investor. @sohtionghum was picked ‘Top 70 Forex Twitter in 2015’. Operates multiple strategies.
“Dear reader, I do not have a financial license to give advice. I do not know you the reader. Your financial objective and risk tolerance may be different from mine. I am not responsible for any consequence of your action.