Visible strength in KLSE index, weakness in Hang Seng
If moving averages were used as a guide for market trend, the stock indices KLSE and HSI remain in up trend. This based on the fact that 50-day and 200-day moving averages have not made the ominous death cross yet.
See our story ‘STI technical analysis: Singapore Straits Times Index bear market yet?‘ where we discuss the use of moving averages to determine trend.
Apart from that, the technical picture of both are poles apart.
Malaysia KLSE Index
- KLSE Index bounces off 50-day moving average (red line) i.e. still in short term up trending mode
- It is above early 2013 high set in January and April
- Looking at the sequence of higher highs and lows, it is in fact making a bullish continuation pattern
- No bearish chart pattern is visible.
Hong Kong Hang Seng Index
- Hang Seng Index is sinking heavily below the 200-day moving average (black line) i.e. very bearish
- It looks a matter of time until a death cross emerges
- It is at its lowest point in 2013 and makes a lower high lower low sequence at the same time
- The moment mid-April low at around 21500 was crossed, a segment of traders and investors already consider a bearish reversal completed
Structural differences or record levels of complacency, fear
At a time where there is increasing stock market correlations through the world, the charts printed by both stock indices are surprising.
Here are some possible interpretations:
- There should not be any correlation because Hong Kong and Malaysia is structurally different
- Positive correlation exists therefore we are going through a temporary period of divergence
If positive correlation exists, one market must be wrong. We don’t know which one is correct.
Either the Malaysia KLSE Index is not as strong as it should be and therefore very complacent or the Hong Kong Hang Seng Index HSI is over-reacting in fear.
Long term positive correlation is present
The following two tabs change content below.
Soh Tiong Hum is Director of TerraSeeds Market Technician Pte Ltd. TerraSeeds is a trading educator in Singapore since 2005.
Soh Tiong Hum is a member and regular speaker at Technical Analysts Society Singapore events and has a bi-monthly lunch time event at IG Singapore on forex and stock markets. He is an avid blogger on technical analysis topics; his Twitter account @sohtionghum
was ranked #23 out of The Top 70 Twitter Accounts To Follow In 2015
Come find Tiong Hum on Google+