Forex leverage a boon to super traders who want to become millionaire but can wipe out trading capital too
Forex leverage is a very attractive feature of currency trading. High levels of forex leverage available for currency trading allows traders to employ very little forex trading capital. The draw to individuals: “I use very little to make more money“.
Although it is true that forex leverage is very useful, it is a double edged sword. In my previous posting, ‘Can I become millionaire in 1 month with $10k forex trading capital?‘ we looked at the use of 800:1 forex leverage to multiply $10k into 1.05 million dollars in 3 successful trades. This posting was quite successful because apparently it tickled some young traders in our community. One little overlooked point in the story is that when we use 800:1 forex leverage however, it requires a winning trade of 50 pips to make 4 times trading profit to forex trading capital but only 12.5 pips to wipe out the trading account.
Its amazing we can use little money to make more money … but losses are quicker
|Outcome (see below)||A||B||C||D||E
|Forex trading capital||$500||$500||$500||$500||$500
|Forex margin (fully margined)||$500||$500||$500||$500||$500
|50 pips win||$50||$125||$250||$1000||$2000
|Return on trading capital||10%||25%||50%||200%||400%
|Slop loss to wipe out trading capital||500 pips||200 pips||100 pips||25 pips||12.5 pips
- A winning trade of 50 pips will produce $50 trading profit or 10% return on trading capital in 1 trade
- It takes 500 pips to wipe out the trading capital
- If the trader uses a 1:1 reward to risk ratio to set target price and stop loss level, this trading setup can withstand 10 consecutive losses
- A winning trade of 50 pips will produce $125 trading profit or 25% return on trading capital in 1 trad
- It takes 200 pips to wipe out the trading capital
- Based on the same 1:1 reward to risk ratio to set target price and stop loss level, this trading setup can withstand 4 consecutive losses
- A winning trade of 50 pips will produce $250 trading profit or 50% return on trading capital in 1 trade
- It takes 100 pips to wipe out the trading capital
- Based on same 1:1 reward to risk ratio, this trading setup can withstand 2 consecutive losses
- A winning trade of 50 pips will produce $1000 trading profit or 200% return on trading capital in 1 trade
- It takes 25 pips to wipe out the trading capital
- If the trader retains a 50 pip stop loss (1:1 ratio similar to target setting), this trading account will be wiped out in 1 trade so the 1:1 ratio can no longer be employed.
- A winning trade of 50 pips will produce $2000 trading profit or 400% return on trading capital in 1 trade
- It takes 12.5 pips to wipe out the trading capital.
Putting wipe out trades into perspective with EURUSD
Using forex leverage requires skill: user could bring home more trophies or die faster
Lets consider EURUSD now at 1.3000.
Using the 20:1 forex leverage, the trader could withstand 500 pip loss e.g. EURUSD 1.3000 drops to 1.2500 or equivalent to 3.85% of underlying movement.
Using the 800:1 forex leverage, the trading account killer is less than 0.1% underlying move.
Trading should consider technique and risk management. It is brains over brawn. And the commercial message is: come and see our forex trading performance from the beginning of 2013.
The following two tabs change content below.
Soh Tiong Hum is Director of TerraSeeds Market Technician Pte Ltd. TerraSeeds is a trading educator in Singapore since 2005.
Soh Tiong Hum is a member and regular speaker at Technical Analysts Society Singapore events and has a bi-monthly lunch time event at IG Singapore on forex and stock markets. He is an avid blogger on technical analysis topics; his Twitter account @sohtionghum
was ranked #23 out of The Top 70 Twitter Accounts To Follow In 2015
Come find Tiong Hum on Google+